Baseball defeats Saint Anselme, 8-2
Marshall’s career-high 12 strikeouts kept the Hawks’ offense at bay Friday (Photo courtesy of Stonehill Athletics).
EASTON, Mass. (April 29, 2022)- The Stonehill College baseball team traveled to Saint Anselm to start a four-game game Northeast-10 Conference series where the Skyhawks came away with an 8-2 victory.
- Stonehill started the first inning with four straight hits, including three doubles. Kiely led the frame with a left double before eventually scoring on a par double Noah Lucier. Lidsky called a Farragher single with his own double to drive Lucier home for the first 2-0 lead.
- The Skyhawks continued their momentum when Farragher hit his fifth home run of the season and sent a solo shot into right field to make it 3-0 after three.
- From there, Stonehill starter Luke Marshall held the Hawks offense at bay with a streak where he struck out 11 consecutive batters in the third through seventh innings. Of those 11 batters, Marshall struck out eight of them via strikeouts, including a run in the fifth where he retired the side. Overall for the day, Marshall posted a career-high 12 strikeouts.
- Kiely continued his good day by leading the start of the fifth with a brace for his second hit of the afternoon. Later in the inning, Ciulla-Hall scored Kiely (4-0) after sending a single to right center.
- Later in the seventh, a two-goal double courtesy of Gaspar tackled two more runs for the Skyhawks and extended their lead to six (6-0).
- After Lidsky pushed the lead to seven (7-0) on a sacrifice ball early in the eighth, Saint Anselme responded in the bottom half of the frame when Salvatore Pezzolla recorded a late RBI single.
- However, Stonehill added another run in the top of the ninth as Brandon Taylor was hit by a pitch and then made his way to third on a throwing error later in the frame. Despite mike swanholm on the ground, Taylor would cross the plate on the play to regain the advantage of seven points (8-1).
- Saint Anselme added a run in the bottom of the ninth on a solo home run from Mike Borellibut Max Bruport retired the next three batters (two of which were at bat) to secure the victory for Stonehill.
Victory: Stonehill-Luke Marshall (2-4)
Loss: Saint Anselme-Adam Betty (4-4)
Stonehill and Saint Anselm resume their four-game series tomorrow with a double from noon.
For the latest news on Stonehill Athletics, follow the Skyhawks via social media at Twitter, Facebook and instagram. Fans can also download the Stonehill Skyhawks “Front Row” Mobile App, Powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.